Saturday, July 16, 2011

veggie tacos

I am linking up with Casey's recipe exchange to share this easy, inexpensive & delicious meal that my husband and I enjoy at least once a week!



Meet veggie tacos.


I don't cook much. Mainly because I married a man/chef and there is not usually a point in me taking a long time to follow a recipe when he can whip up something incredible and off the cuff in less than 20 minutes. These lovelies are easy for me to make & are quite the treat. AND they only cost around FIVE dollars and take only about five-ten minutes to make!

When I was introduced {back in college} to these veggie tacos I am pretty sure I rolled up my nose. Veggies? Are you kidding me. But, after trying them, I discovered that they are absolutely perfect.

So, to make veggie tacos {for 2} you will need:

1 avocado
1 roma tomato
6 tortillas
sundried tomato and basil feta crumbles
balsamic vinaigrette {or a balsamic reduction}
salt n peppa



{1} slice avocados
{2} slice or chop tomatoes. we change it up. the photo shows them chopped. 
{3} distribute avocados and tomatoes between the six tortillas. if you feel like you'd like a little more of either, just pull out another avocado or tomato and slice 'em up :)
{4} pour on feta crumbles to your liking
{5} dip a spoon in the end of your balsamic {after putting in a jar or bowl} and drizzle it over the top of each taco. you don't need much. 

{6} sprinkle a little salt and pepper over each taco

{7} DEVOUR & ENJOY 


If you live in TX you are lucky. Avocados are super cheap. They're about $1.50 - $2.50 here in TN but it's still really inexpensive overall. Roma tomatoes are the best in my opinion but any tomatoes will work! We use the small flour tortillas. You may want to try corn to change things up. But...we prefer flour :) Sundried tomato and basil feta crumbles add the perfect tiny addition of flavor. Regular feta works too, though. We use a balsamic reduction we bought at a restaurant here in Nashville. Justin has also made some. If I didn't have him or the restaurant, I would just use a balsamic vinaigrette.

Here is a simple recipe for a balsamic reduction from Lori.

1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar (to your liking)


Bring vinegar to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer. When it reduces halfway, add brown sugar. Simmer some more until it becomes syrupy and sticks to the back of a wooden spoon. As it cools it will thicken up. Store leftovers in frig.

I hope you give these veggie tacos a chance. I'm quite proud :)

LOVE.

6 comments:

  1. YUM! This is not helpful when I'm hungry and about to go to work where I'm a server in a restaurant. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of using feta & balsamic in tacos...I've never done that! But they look delish...I just love all the summer veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this looks really delicious. Kind of like a Mediterranean version of tacos - and HEALTHY, yes!!! Love this.

    P.S. I'd love for you to stop by my blog and add your recipe to my link up here. I'm trying to get a lot of sharing going on over there and this healthy taco recipe is perfect!

    -Carly
    www.createliveblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! Krysten - I hope these didn't get you into too much trouble!

    Beth - give 'em a shot! They're delicious! Would love to know how they turn out :)

    Carly - I added it to your blog! Thanks girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! I had taco night last night and the couscous recipe I posted went really well with them! I will have to try tacos this way sometime soon :) Thanks for sharing!

    Visiting from the weigands!

    Michelle
    LittleBlueFeathers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good!! I'm going to make them tonight for my family :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete